Tuesday 4 February 2014

Ketchup Clouds: Book Review

Being a beauty blog book reviews are not somethings I'd normally post, however I'm a big reader (when I'm not swamped by college work) and this book deserves a review and, as it happens the current 2014 blogger challenge topic is books.

"I've done something wrong. Not a little bit wrong or even quite a lot wrong. What I've done is awful. And do you want to know the worst bit? I got away with it."

Zoe Collins has a secret - a dark and terrible secret that she dares confess to no one she knows. But then one day she hears of a criminal of death row who knows all about secrets. And lies. And betrayal. Desperate to confide in someone Zoe picks up a pen, and takes a deep breath. These are the letters she wrote.

I'm not sure what caused me to pick up Ketchup Clouds when I was book shopping at the start of last summer, I don't remember if it was the name or the cover but the blurb - above - had me dying to read it, I was intrigued and had to know what Zoe Collins had done, which, despite my efforts, could not be found by reading the first few pages stood in Waterstones. 

To start off we quickly learn that Zoe Collins is not the name of the girl writting the letters, she's so scared that she'll be found out that even a prisoner on death row half way across the world cannot know her real identity and address. Just in case. And without ruining the story I think I can say that not too far in we find out her terrible secret. She killed someone. 

This entire book is written as letters to a Mr S Harris, prisoner on death row in America who killed his wife, the letters switch betweens Zoes tales of what is currently happening in her life - like the person she killed's mum coming over - and the story of how she came to kill someone. What if find really lovely about the way this book is written is that you see Zoe become more trusting and familiar towards Mr S Harris, her first is rambling, it begins 'Dear Mr S Harris' and ends 'From Zoe' but letters and letters later, when Zoe writes her last letter she begins 'My dearest Stu' finishing the letter, for the first time with her real name. 

Throughout the book, in her letters, Zoe tells Mr Harris not only her home life, with two sisters one of whom is deaf, but also of school and parties and particularly the relationships she develops with two boys who she meets on the same night at the same party. I don't want to spoil the story for you so I don't think I can say a lot more or I'll get carried away and have told you every detail, however this is a strangely beautiful and inevitably sad story that I recommend everyone read. So to wrap up my review I'm going to share one of my favourite lines of the book, I couldn't tell you why but it seemed to stick in my head:
It was the wisest conversation anyone had ever had and I smiled wisely because of my great  wisdom and also possibly because of the whisky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...